Thursday, April 20, 2006

Greenpeace and Nuclear Power

I've decided to start titling my blogs, since that's how they show up under the "Previous Posts". Though now I have to come up with a pithy title and a pithy sign-off. I think there may be a limit to the amount of pithiness I can summon on any given day, and I may just have exceeded it. The new blog is getting of to a slow start, I imagine that in part because people figured in light of my spotty performance of the last month or two that I had essentially stopped blogging, so they stopped checking. However I am experiencing something of a rennaisance, so hopefully the entries will not only be more frequent but more enjoyable.

Of course titling my blogs will lead some people to actually expect me to at some point cover the subject alluded to in the title. And on this point I hope not to dissapoint, at least not very often. So on to the subject of Greenpeace and Nuclear Power. It turns out that just a few days ago, Patrick Moore, one of the founders of Greenpeace, wrote an article in the Washington Post declaring his support for nuclear power. As he mentions he is not the first prominent environmentalist to come out in support of nuclear power, and I'm glad to see that it appears to be a trend.

It's also nice to see that some people rather than opposing all risk, recognize the necessity of some risk and are able to weigh relative risks as he does in this paragraph:

Over the past 20 years, one of the simplest tools -- the machete -- has been used to kill more than a million people in Africa, far more than were killed in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings combined. What are car bombs made of? Diesel oil, fertilizer and cars. If we banned everything that can be used to kill people, we would never have harnessed fire.

I think or I at least hope that the long witch-hunt against nuclear energy is finally drawing to a close. I'm not sure what this says about humanity, that common sense triumphs in the end? I sure hope so, because there are many issues on which a little common sense is desperately needed.

Pregnant with nuclear power's love child

1 Comments:

Blogger James Aach said...

Common sense - not a popular psychological construct these days.

You might find my website interesting. It contains a techno-thriller about nuclear power endorsed by Stewart Brand, founder of The Whole Earth Catalog, who is mentioned in the article you cite. There’s no cost. See the homepage comments for reader reviews. I’ve spent many years in the US nuclear industry. RadDecision.blogspot.com

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home