Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I am Charlotte Simmons

Well the amount of work piling up on me that has to be done before I can leave on the family vacation has reached a crescendo, so I'm not going to have much time to blog. Plus I'm still reeling from the deep and incredibly cutting insults I got after yesterday's blog. First to be accused of "magical thinking" and then to have my deficiencies in logic and rhetoric pointed out... needless to say I cried myself to sleep last night.

Anyway after far too long (though in my defense I misplaced the book for a month or more) I finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. It was a thoroughly depressing commentary on the state of higher education, and a pretty good novel to boot. It received mostly tepid reviews when it came out, and having not read any of Wolfe's other books I have no basis for comparison, but I'm glad I read it. Much of the delay in finishing came from parts where such horribleness was visited on the poor female protagonist that I had difficulty reading them.

What shall I read next?

1 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

I just hate it when I miss good post opportunities. But then the theme of "reading" opens the same budding reply as "politics" from last time.

I am marveling that an not only has an Oscar recharged Al Gore as a viable presidential candidate, however much in denial, but that the hottest inter-Democratic media slam came via that YouTube thing.

From one consideration, neither are any more than dramatic presentations relating to politics and other issues.

The power of TV and visual media are amazing. The most powerful nation presently on earth is led by the nose of the screen, big and small. That's some wacky fiction I would've dismissed out of hand if I had read it some years back.

From "We'll sell him like Cornflakes" JFK to ex-actor Reagan to Al Gore and a media-guy for Obama, I am too dumbfounded to imagine what comes next.

Keep reading!

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home