Friday, August 03, 2007

August

I’ve noticed a phenomenon, and perhaps it’s just me, that people start the summer with grand plans concerning the parties they’re going to throw and the activities they’ll engage in. But first, of course, they need to relax for a bit… Suddenly right about now they realize that they were so busy relaxing that they haven’t yet got around to having their party and so everything ends up getting scheduled in August. Now of course you may look at your calendar and say, that’s not true, most of the stuff I have in August is in August every year! To which I would respond, “How do you think it ended up there in the first place?

Looking at my August I have a work party, two family parties and three church parties and of course GenCon (which as usual conflicts with my wedding anniversary). And that’s just the stuff that I can remember off the top of my head. Add in the normally scheduled events and the whole thing becomes farcical. Given that I’m trying to basically work two jobs at the moment it’s getting a little bit frustrating. Definitely put me down as someone who can’t wait for autumn and the start of school.

Cooler temperatures would be nice as well

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what is the reason they say "The Dog Days of August" again?

3:53 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

"...GenCon (which as usual conflicts with my wedding anniversary)..."
Oops, that's a tough one for the gaming-inclined. >:-)

I start summers with a feeling of surprise ("It's already June?") and only worry about how to avoid as much heat and humidity misery I can.

The traditional vacation period in mid to late August makes July busier or so it seems.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I hate August. I would think any large group such as a company or a church would have enough fore sight to plan around August, but they are the worst offenders. I guess family comes in second. I remember how irritated I was a few years ago when my feckless son decided he wanted to get married in August. That may still rank as one of the most hectic Augusts ever.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, the Romans believed that Sirius, the "Dog Star" (in Canis Major) added its own heat to the Sun's in this July-August period. I didn't know about the "added heat," but that certainly is applicable to today's world in more than one sense.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home