Monday, August 20, 2007

I've been bad

Wow! I didn't realize that it had been nearly two weeks since I last posted. Things have been unusually busy (as I mentioned). I'll try to do better. I'm continuing my phase out of the day job and I'm going to drop to 30 hours a week next week, 12 of which will be telecommuting, so that should really increase the amount of discretionary time I have.

I got back from GenCon earlier this afternoon, and nearly immediately laid down for a nap. As usual I averaged about 4-5 hours of somewhat fitful sleep every night (including the night before leaving, because I was up late packing). So I'm pretty wasted. When I talked to my wife about this she was unsympathetic. "So you're saying you were up late every night playing games? Yeah, you're really breaking my heart..."

Obviously I'm not going to be able to give a complete recap. Here are some highlights:

  • Bringing along my brother-in-law for the first time: Having someone who was seeing things for the first time, was cool. Sometimes I forget how jaded I am.

  • Fourth Edition D&D was announced: The Players Handbook will be out in May, which seems quick. I'm pretty excited, mostly because I'm just a big geek.

  • The Gary Gygax story: Too long to recount in full, but basically we discovered the aforementioned b-i-l didn't know who Gary was (nearly a capital crime at GenCon). The highlight was when I related the story to Gary himself.

  • The end of Dreamblade: Yeah they're still making minis for now, but with Tournament support gone, it's really just a matter of time. During the 50k tournament it was determined that I was the "Karl Rove of Dreamblade", the power behind the throne. It was sad to see all the tournament prizes they had printed/created lying in stacks and given away for free.

  • But mostly seeing all the people who I only get to see each year at GenCon.


Anyway that's all for now, hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

August, and summer are nearing their end

4 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

I'm depressed about the Fourth Edition news. My condolences regarding the Dreamblade degradation.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who is Gary Gygax anyways?

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to need more explanation on this "Karl Rove of Dreamblade" thing.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily Ross and Wil were the only ones to hear me ask, "Who is Gary Gygax?" Any other attendees would have had me lynched.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home