Friday, March 02, 2007

Another weekend

Well up until a couple of hours I thought I'd be doing the family campaign tonight, but it turns out there was a mix up, so I have nothing planned for tonight. It's kind of a weird feeling... I think I may spend the weekend trying to catch up with my sons on Zelda, not the most productive activity, but I think it could be fun. I do know I'm going to try and get plenty of rest. I feel like I'm close to finally licking this cold, and I really think 36 hours of sleep might push it over the edge. And if that doesn't work I guess I really should get in and see the doctor again.

I finally had a second to sit down and read the Penny Jar article Aozora linked to in his comments. As you might have gathered it was written by him, and it's quite good. The fundemental question he asks is "Why do we play?" I admit I ask myself that question a fair amount. I remember selling off all of my RIFTS books when I got married, because I was sure that I had at last reached adulthood and there would be no more time for any of that. But that turned out not to be the case. Still I've always felt a vagues sense of neo-puritanical guilt about my games, as if I play because I can't help it, but that if I were a better person I'd be reading Rabelais and writing the great american novel. Perhaps that's true perhaps it's not. Perhaps I need to accept that on one level gaming is one of the major things we do together as a family, and that whatever else it maybe, it's a positive force in that respect.

There are many things in the article that I identify with. The one that really made me laugh was that he felt personally responsible for the failure of Avalon Hill. I do that all the time, I'm sure that if Dreamblade dies an early death I'll never be able to forgive myself. One thing I didn't identify with was his ability to play the "day job game." But perhaps that's a skill I desperately need to learn. Definitely something to think about.

I keep playing this blogger game but I can't seem to beat it

2 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Many thanks for the review (and linkage, oh my!). I am honored.

I think I'll go out and treat myself to "The Ross". ;-D

4:25 AM  
Blogger thelarius said...

now who would go and sell off all their rifts books? and probably for some paltry sum as well.

obviously adulthood settled hard for you.

:p

i imagine, therefore i am.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home