Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sigh...

Well my trip to New York is open me and not only do I not feel better I think I actually feel worse... The cold or virus or flesh-eating bacteria I have has moved up into my head, so I have a stuffy nose and a sinus headache. When these new symptoms first started I thought it might be a good sign, that the medicine was finally working, the lungs had opened up and spread their pestilance to another area, but the lungs are just as tight as always, I'm still coughing just as much I just now have a whole new set of symptoms to make me miserable. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't taking the redeye tonight (and vice-versa).

As a result I'm far less excited about the trip then I should be. My big worry is that the redeye on top of already being sick, will so wipe me out that I won't be able to enjoy anything I do or perhaps do anything I enjoy. To say nothing of how it will affect my performance at the 10k on Saturday. Which brings me to another concern, I have a warband that I'm quite happy with and I've been practicing like crazy with it. Last time I had a band that I wasn't entirely happy with, and which I hadn't practiced much, and I came in 9th. So of course Murphy's Law would dictate that I'll do even worse with this band... Or perhaps I'm just trying to start out disappointed so anything will be a pleasant surprise.

As you might tell I've got kind of a bad attitude about the trip. Mostly because I don't get to take trips like this very often (though most would argue I take them more often than I should) and when I do it's time-consuming and expensive, so of course I want everything to go perfectly, and instead I'm sick, my flights (redeye tonight as I mentioned and arriving back around 1 am on Tuesday morning) are likely to make it worse, I'm still trying to finalize my warband, and this is my first time at this convention (my experience is that it takes several times, or hooking up with a vetern, before you really get the feel of a con).

As I alluded to above, hopefully by going in with negative expectations I can't help but be pleasantly surprised, we'll have to see. If I do really well in the 10k I'll attempt to blog about it before I return, so if you don't see anything in this space until Tuesday you'll know I had a lackluster showing.

Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Although maybe health would be a better wish...

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To cheer you up, check out www.littledemocrats.net and especially check out the samples page. It's either the most brilliant satire ever written, or a very, very odd book.

4:09 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

"So of course Murphy's Law would dictate that I'll do even worse with this band..."

Tsk, tsk, no negativity now. We are on the eve of gaming. So trot out your best quotes, be they Shakespeare or Dirty Harry.

"Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage; Then lend the red eye a terrible aspect."

-or-

"Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Good fortunes!


P.S.
ed, that is too funny ...

"Using plain and non-judgmental language ... "

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lackluster showing since you did not blog from there. I hope instead you were just constantly mobbed by fans.

* *

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home