Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Still Hung-over

Firstly, Gary Gygax created D&D, and even earlier than that he started GenCon, so yeah, he’s somewhat important to the people attending. Secondly, about the Karl Rove thing, because I'm really good friends with the two guys who do 80%+ of the content for the official Dreamblade website my picture ended up on the website a lot more than it should have and I was mentioned more often than a player of my lowly stature should be. So they (the website guys) decided that I was the shadowy power behind the throne, much like Karl Rove was said to be the shadowy power behind Bush.

Finally, yeah I’m definitely sympathetic to experiencing some melancholy about the announcement of 4th Edition. You’ve just gotten to the point where you feel like you have all the books you need and everything’s going great and then Wham! they release a new edition, and suddenly all the support dries up. Furthermore you can’t ignore the possibility that they may completely screw everything up, which is an even greater possibility when you start tossing in the minis angle and the digital initiative. Still I think I’m choosing to be, at least slightly, optimistic. Particularly since there’s no point in making any definitive judgment on things until at least the Players Handbook comes out.

I’m still suffering from some lingering sleep debt. I slept okay last night, though I had forgot to turn off my wrist alarm and so it went off at 5:55 this morning (the time I had to wake up yesterday to catch my plane) so I didn’t sleep for quite as long as I could have. I’m guessing that it will be next week before I’m fully caught up, if then.

My mojo regenerates slowly

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about Dreamblade as well. Do you know if any collectible games have ever had a decent after-market support with unofficial leagues/tourneys/what have you?

4:49 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

Any game you can think of has some small but devoted following, so I think there will be Dreamblade events at GenCon for many years, but once a game that was designed to be continually expanded, stops getting new stuff then a big part of the appeal goes away...

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your first line just hit me... what was Gencon before all the D&D and CCG stuff started?

1:59 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

Historical military miniature war games, Napoleonic stuff, Naval reenactments, stuff like that.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home