Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Muscle Relaxant

I have back problems, but doesn't everyone? In my particular case the middle three or four vertebra in my back settle into kind of a fixed and locked position. The pain then radiates around the rib cage and overall it's pretty painful. There are some stretches and so forth that I can do that help relieve the pain but eventually it gets to the point where I have to sort of reset it by taking a muscle relaxant. Which of course given my low tolerance for just about all drugs knocks me out pretty good.

I've been meaning to take a muscle relaxant for about two months now, but since I was afraid that it would take me completely out of commission for 24 hours there was always some reason why I couldn't. It had finally progressed to the point where it was seriously affecting my sleep, and so this afternoon after I got back from donating platelets. I called around to make sure there was nothing critical and then I took half a muscle relaxant. Previously I'd always taken a full pill. Not sure why, I had always thought about doing a half, but never had. Of course I've only taken it 2 or maybe three times in the past.

After taking it I slept for about seven hours, in the middle of the day. We'll see how that affects my sleep tonight. My back feels a lot better though I'd venture to say that it's not quite as fully "reset" as it is when I take a full one. After waking up I was still a little groggy and possibly grumpy, my apologies if you happened to be the victim of that. But probably within nine hours of taking it I'm feeling pretty good. This is encouraging, because unless I'm mistaken it means I can take a half before I go to bed and not have to worry about entirely clearing my schedule...

Of course I don't want to get too dependent, but given that I got the prescription over a year ago I don't think we're in any danger of that yet.

I'm old and getting older by the second

2 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

My back is OK, but I have, er, um, "front" problems.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have muscle relaxants from back when I had pancreatitis (sp?) and the doctor thought my back had gone out again. I hate taking them because I fell like I am in a fog for about 24-36 hours. Not fun at all, but it does help my back when I over do it.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home