Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Games

For a variety of reasons not worth going into we've decided to dial things back a bit with the new company. You could say that, in the terms of Spinal Tap, that we're turning the dial from 11 back to 8 or 9. What this means is that I might actually have some time to do something fun. Not a lot of time mind you, in fact when I look at all the things I've neglected around the house, and the time it will take to get back on top of that I probably don't have any time, but let's imagine, that in theory I might. The question then becomes what game should I play?

It's too bad Diablo III isn't going to be available for quite awhile. I'd play that for sure. Beyond that I'm not sure. A good rpg would be nice, but I haven't seen one of those in awhile. I've got some 4X games that I could play, and that's not a bad idea. Galactic Civilizations came out with their final expansion. So that sounds fun, but it doesn't sound awesome, if you know what I mean. I am playing a little bit of Weewar, which has been awesome, but that's only 20 minutes a day, so the search continues.

I did hear about a pretty cool game yesterday which is supposed to release this summer. It's called "Hinterland". Here's the feature list:

* Fantasy role-playing and character development
* Party-based tactical combat, including item use
* Base building, including building upgrades
* Innovative combat stat leveling system
* Random world generation for maximum replay
* Folklore / fantasy setting
* Intimate scale

Apparently you're in charge of a small group of peasants and you're supposed to lead them off into the hinterland (get it?) and establish a village. Obviously it's entirely possible that they've tried to pack too much into the game, but if that's not the case then this could be the greatest game since Master of Magic...

Nap Time

2 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Hinterland looks interesting from a game mechanics perspective. I've always thought a MMORPG based on one Settlers clone or another would be much fun.

On the other hand, I'm a little weary of the typical EDO background.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spanish go from being on top of the world, with Wimbledon and EuroCup 2008, to goats with now TWO accused dopers. I can only imagine the press there.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home