Friday, July 04, 2008

My "Horse" for the Tour

Well the Tour starts tomorrow morning. I was amazed to find out that for the first time since 1966 they're not doing a prologue. I have to say that I'm disappointed. And I figured that if they didn't have a prologue they would definitely have a team time trial, nope not that either. I have to say overall I'm disappointed, I mean first they don't invite the defending champion back, and then no prologue or team time trial? I'm losing faith. Anyway I figured I'd better give you my pick before the race actually starts (although since the first stage isn't a prologue, it's not going to be nearly as informative).

So here it is. I'm going with Damiano Cunego. There was a big part of me that wanted to go with Cadel Evans (and I'll still be happy if he wins), but I really worry about his team. I think you can get by with a weaker team if you're not a favorite, but going in as a favorite with a weak team is a big problem. Plus I really feel that we're still in a transition period in the tour and that we're looking for the next dominant rider to emerge out of the ranks of younger riders. I think Cunego could be that rider.

In any case we'll see how it turns out. This tour is at least as wide-open as last year if not more. I'm still made about the prologue, but I expect it will still be an exciting race.

Oh, and happy 4th of July!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home