Friday, December 01, 2006

The Economist

I used to read "The Onion" a lot, not sure why I don't anymore, but that's not the point. One of my favorite features of all time was a sort of he said/she said feature. The first person put forth some position (I honestly have no idea what it was) and in the process referenced The Economist in support of that position. The rebuttal was titled something like, "Oooh! Look at me! I read The Economist!" and was nothing more than an ad hominem on the first writer for being pretentious enough to read The Economist.

Despite how obviously pretentious it is, I also read The Economist in fact my wife managed to finagle a three year subscription to it with some frequent flier miles we weren't using, so presumably I'll be reading it for a long time to come. It's amazing to me how much better it is than Time or Newsweek, so much so that in comparison they seem like just another clone of People or US Weekly without the benefit of the "Fashion Police" column.

In any case that's pretty much it for today. I would urge anyone who hasn't read Ed's comment on yesterday' blog to do so now. Also in answer to aozora's question I had never heard of fantasycongress.us but I could see where it would be a lot of fun. Reminds me of High School when I did Model UN and Parlimentary Procedure in Debate.

Still amazed by how little snow melts off the driveway during the day

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell if it's because I was younger and more naive then, or if the main news magazines (Time, News & World Report) have gone down in quality since my youth, but I have to agree that the Economist is rather good, and neither does it strike me as terribly partisan. I find I roll my eyes at least two or three times if I read Time or one of its sister publications.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+1 to those who think Time and Newsweek have degraded along with most of the rest. I must exclude the Economist because I haven't ever read it.

Was Model UN as interesting as it sounds? As much as Mr. Bolton is not my type some of his pre-ambassadorship comments amused me greatly and fit my take on the real thing.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! Look at me! I read The Economist! ;)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home