Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The surprise

So every Monday we have Family Home Evening, and every member of the family takes turns picking what to do. It was my turn last night and I told the kids we were going to go get the car washed (the kids have more fun with this than you might initially suspect) and then come home and set up the Wii we acquired on Friday. So we drove to the car wash and then we turned around and headed home, but when we got to our turn-off I just kept driving. The kids immediately noticed and started asking me about it, but I just kept talking about something else. Pretending not to hear them. Eventually when I could tell they were getting frustrated, I addressed their questions but pretended to have not realized we missed the turn.

At that point the started trying to direct me back home, but none of them could agree on exactly what to do, and I told them I couldn't take a left turn because I was scared. After driving west for quite a while I finally made a right turn and started heading north, getting farther and farther away from the house. The street we were on was in the industrial section of town and it was pretty much dark by that time a night, a fact I played up with the kids, attempting to make the whole thing seem scary. Around this time my oldest son had had enough and he said, "This joke has gone to far! Do you know how I can tell? Because it's not funny anymore!"

Eventually we came to the brightly lit furniture store, that was our surprise destination. My wife and I had already picked out a 42" plasma TV and we wanted to surprise the kids with it. Perhaps we should have billed it as such, because, although they're hyperkinetically over-joyed about it now. Last night it took awhile for the lingering resentment to dissipate. I ended up having to drop the family off and go to their warehouse to get everything (we also got a stand for it). So by the time I got it home and we got it set up and connected to the cable it was an hour past their bedtime, but we let them stay up so they could see it in all it's glory.

No, a 42" plasma TV is nothing like a "wall" in Farhenheit 451

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the "torture" you put the kids through, you'd think a 104" screen would suffice.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is which child will Ross kill first for putting a toy through the screen? Any bets?

4:04 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

"This joke has gone to far! Do you know how I can tell? Because it's not funny anymore!"

Beautiful. I'm going to chuckle about this one for a week.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home