Thursday, February 01, 2007

Slow down you move to fast

At some point, I think it was last summer, something or someone cranked up the speed setting on my life. Ever since then I've felt metaphorically out of breathe. This isn't necessarily bad, metaphorical exercise is probably as good for me as literal exercise. Still it would be nice to get a breather every so often. One problem is that I'm a sprinter not a long distance runner (within the context of the metaphor, literally I don't think I'm much of either...) Now I'm trying to train to be more of an endurance man, little bits of effort every day, but it's not easy or natural.

As long as I'm seeing progress each day, then I'm pretty good about keeping the faith, but all too frequently I put in my incremental effort only to find that I'm losing ground. That the situation is deteriorating faster than my incremental efforts can keep up with. Obviously one can increase the level of effort but doesn't that just mean I'll wear myself out before the end of the race? At least I think that's how long distance races work, having never ran more than 50 ft, I'm basing this entire extended metaphor on hearsay and supposition.

I realize this isn't the most upbeat blog entry ever. I'm sure that part of it is fueled by being sick. I finally succumbed to my normal winter cold (which I'm sure it will linger until sometime in August.) And of course tomorrow's Groundhog Day, I always get melancholy around this time of year. I doubt that tossing a link in will do much to change the tone of the entry, but a friend of mine sent me a link to an application built around google maps that shows you where you'd come out if you dug a hole straight through the center of the earth. Nothing too fancy, but it is a useful tool if you're planning on making it to China the hard way, turns out you're really best to take a left once you hit the lower mantle.

Edit: Okay apparently that domain name just barely expired. So instead I offer you this creative look at Man vs. Machine.

I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be about the time you visited me here in the Bay Area... coincidence?

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home