Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Vacation Recap

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I spent the entire day shadowing a vendor consultant as we tried to trouble shoot the problems we were having with their product, so I barely got lunch.

I don't know how much I'll be able to cover. My son actually kept a journal of the vacation for school (I guess they wanted to make sure he wasn't entirely goofing off, I mean how would that be if an 8 year old just had fun for a week...) so perhaps I should transcribe it and post it.

Saturday (3/24): This was the drive down. We pulled out of the driveway just before 6:00 am and made it to California (Costa Mesa) by 4:00 their time. By the end the kids had definitely cracked. I tried telling them they didn't know how good they had it, with a DVD player and all. When I was young... It quieted them down a little bit, but I think it just took them from boiling to simmering. The evening was spent recovering.

Sunday (3/25): We went to church with my brother-in-law and his family, walked around the grounds of the new Newport Beach Temple, napped a little, and had dinner with the BIL (a very yummy beef stroganoff). It should have been a pretty peaceful day, but instead I sent a large portion of it text-messaging and calling the guy who was backing me up. There was suppossed to be a big publish on that day, but the Marketing guy who was suppossed to do the initial activation was much later than he should have been, in fact he was about 9 hours later than I thought he would be. It turned out his hard drive had died. Which is obviously the sort of thing that will only happen while you're hundreds of miles away...

Monday (3/26): More time on the phone, but things calmed down by the afternoon. We once again spent the bulk of the day visiting the BIL and his family. Much of it at the park, where the kids got soaked. We went to In-and-Out Burger for lunch, which was quite good, and that night we had a very salubrious bacon-wrapped chicken dinner.

Tuesday (3/27): The main event, Legoland. I loved Miniland, the roller coasters were perfect for the kids. The giant robotic arm was cool, if somewhat nauseating, and the lines were just about non-existant. Overall it was quite a bit of fun, and we basically did the whole park in one day. In particular, if you have kids, I would recommend the driving class, my kids really liked that, even if I did have to lie a little bit to get my number 2 son onto the big kids course. That night we went to the claim jumper. My friend Tyson and his lovely girlfriend Adriane(sp?) came up from San Diego. It was nice to see him, particularly since he's not coming to GenCon this year, which is where I normally see him.

Wednesday (3/28): Another driving day, though not nearly as long (only ~6 hours), from California to Arizona. We were staying with one of my wife's cousins, who has a pool, so as soon as we got there we jumped in. It was a little cool, but not too bad.

Thursday (3/29): We went swimming again in my wife's Grandmother's pool (the retirement community, she's in has a heated pool). Then we went to lunch with grandma and one of my wife's aunts. That night we went to the Annual Easter Pageant put on by the Mesa Arizona Temple. It was quite good. Only a church pageant can pull in a cast of probably over 300. On the way out I was joking with some of the performers, telling them that I was hoping to be called on to play the part of Jesus (my beard hadn't been trimmed in awhile and my hair, which hasn't been cut since I shaved my head, is quite long.) They said well just keep growing it out and maybe you'll have better luck next year. I told them I would tell that to my wife.

Friday (3/30): The longest drive of the trip, from Arizona to Utah. Since we'd had a lot of late nights we decided not to leave outrageously early. So we pulled out of the driveway at 8:00 am and pulled in to our driveway right around 8:00 pm (we lost an hour since AZ doesn't do DST). I think the kids may have actually done better on that drive, though it's hard to say, I think their spirits were broken.

Just a few miles short of 2000 and I drove every last one of them

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Driving just under 2000 miles gives anyone the right to use the word "salubrious". Welcome back, glad it was a safe trip.

9:24 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Dang, "salubrious" was the word I was going to invoke too ... ah well.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"bacon wrapped," "salubrious"? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home