Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stress

Yesterday was the bimonthly big deadline at the day job. I was in on Sunday to take care of it, but after a couple of failed attempts we decided it wasn't going to happen until Monday (on of my co-workers had to stay up until 3:00 am to fix the problems). When Monday rolled around in addition to trying to finish off the big deadline there was another relatively catastrophic occurance with our search engine. Eventually, after hours on the phone with the vendor we figured out that there was some files which needed to be deleted.

Of course when I tried to delete the files I was told that they were in use by another process. I've never had that problem on Linux, just one more reason to dislike Windows (this is not to say that they're aren't reasons to like Windows, but I couldn't remember any at the time.) As a result I had to reboot into Safe Mode before the files could be deleted. The point of this story is not that this was a particularly bad crisis more to point out that when you're already slammed with one thing that, when something else comes up it's potential to cause stress is amplified a hundred times.

To top it all off, after spending the whole day putting out one fire after another I had to stay late for an interview (it was the guy I mentioned earlier who couldn't come during normal business hours). I figured the interview would go pretty quick, but it ended up taking quite awhile. I ended up being not as impressed with him during the in person interview as I was in the phone interview. Of course he missed some easy questions when I got around to giving him the technical test. For example what kind of Apache admin doesn't know what mod_rewrite is/does?

Frankie says relax

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many good jobs get bad applicants. Makes you wonder sometimes where all the good folks are.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Makes you wonder sometimes where all the good folks are."

Maybe the really good ones don't apply for jobs as much as move from one job to another because they are offered by others or found by head hunters when they're not looking. Thoughts?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hallamigo: That could be. But you figure there's always a few good folks out there looking to get out of a bad job, or looking for a transfer to another location, for various reasons.

Ross: Any thoughts on Landis?

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home