Thursday, November 01, 2007

Something Epic

So I can finally spill the beans publicly on my grand scheme. As most of you know I was at GenCon during my anniversary. To make up for that I was supposed to arrange to have my mother watch the kids so that the wife and I could go have a nice dinner. Well sometime in September I realized that I really should do more than that, particularly if I was going to have to get baby-sitting. So I came up with this idea of actually getting out of town for a couple of days, and making it a surprise. Well when I looked at the calendar it was already pretty packed. The soonest opening was the weekend of October 20th, but that was the library's semi-annual used book sale (and as it turned out I was sick that weekend). So the next one after that was this weekend.

Obviously a lot of things had to be done, but by far the hardest was making sure that my wife didn't schedule anything else in this time frame. The scary moment came when she was about to schedule her monthly book club get together for tonight. So I had to come up with something more important than the book club that involved only a few people. My wife is in the Relief Society presidency and so I called the president and told her to tell my wife that the Bishop wanted to meet with them tonight. This worked, but it also raised a lot of questions for my wife. In the end the RS president (to her credit) had to involve the rest of the presidency and the bishop to keep the deception from being uncovered.

The other really scary incident happened on Monday. My Mother was writing a letter to my younger sister who's on a mission. She off-handedly mentioned that she was going to have my kids this weekend. She then sent it to the general family mailing list, which of course included not one, but two e-mail addresses for my wife. I haven't checked with the wife to be sure, but I'm fairly confident that my wife would have figured out something was up. Fortunately my sister notified me of the problem shortly after the e-mail was sent and since it was first thing in the morning I was able to get into both of my wife's e-mail accounts and delete the messages before she saw them.

It will be awhile before I try and pull anything like this off again. The psychic strain of keeping it secret and worrying that she would find out was greater than I expected. Particularly last night, I think I dreamed of how I would tell her at least three times, maybe more.

So this is the end of my month of blogging everyday. I was actually using it as sort of a countdown for this event. Or perhaps more accurately I knew I wasn't going to be blogging while I was out of town so today marked a natural cut-off. I imagine I'll be back on Monday. So I'll wish you all a good weekend and sign-out.

Here's looking at you kid

4 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Nice moves! I'm on my out of town for a couple days myself. Have fun!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being able to pull it off. I hope you kids have a wonderful weekend!

It must be something contagious... I actually flew to Pittsburgh to surprise my mom on her 70th b-day, and I'll be here all weekend.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two female kids are doing great. Watched Happy Feet last night. For some reason Happy Feet reminds me of my one Brother-in-law, the one that frequents here. I'll have to investigate further why. This morning we are going to show them how to make caramelized bananas with a propane torch. Between that and an endless supply of Smarties I've been feeding them I'm a shoe in for Uncle of the year.

Fred

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up on ever being uncle of the year when Ross' oldest son, when being asked who his favorite uncle was, rambled off all the other uncles, some of Ross' friends, a grandpa, some cousins, and if I remember right, a couple of fictional TV personalities ... then me. At least I made the list though, right?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home