Friday, February 08, 2008

Hair

I've always said that my ideal hair-cutting schedule would be to shave it all off say in May, and then grow it out for a year, so that it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It's possible that my hair grows to fast for this to be a practical arrangement. Of course this is to say nothing of the other challenges I face when I get shaggy, which range from four disapproving younger sisters to older members of my congregation who figure I must be some kind of hippie. Well I could handle all of that, but a new factor has entered the equation to which I have no defense.

Allow me to explain, I'm basically an executive at this new company I'm starting and I have to meet with vendors, advisers and most especially investors. As a result I've been informed by several people that my long, hippie hair is not appropriate. This might be a good time to interject the idea that I hate fashion. I understand the evolutionary underpinnings, and I understand the arguments involving the idea that fashion basically amounts to PR, but still on some level I think we should be advanced enough to be in a post-fashion world. But obviously we're not... Anyway, I liked to think that there were at least some people who thought the devil may care, long hair, bearded professor look at least conveyed a certain erudition, but I was painfully disabused of that notion.

So Monday I've got an appointment to get my hair cut. Not at a traditional barber shop where the whole operation might run me $10 including the tip, but at a salon. I expect it will run me somewhere on the order of $50 or so, which bothers me on some level, however I guess, since I've never had my hair cut at that level it is somewhat exciting to see how it turns out. I'm going to give the stylist complete carte blanche. In other words I'd even be open to getting my hair colored... In any case we'll see how it goes, and as you can imagine I'm sure I'll have a full report on Monday.

Going where no MAN has gone before

4 Comments:

Blogger hallamigo said...

If you don't include a picture with Monday's post, I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cautionary tale, my friend:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28312

Stick to the Dollar Shop.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I hear faux hawks are in style, but that still might not impress investors.

Jessica

12:31 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Don't color it. That is a very slippery slop to start down.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home