Saturday, February 09, 2008

Research

Well my new company involves games (sorry I've been instructed by our investors that I can't really say anything more than that... And who knows they might not even want me mentioning games...) And so despite the fact that it sounds like a big rationalization I have to play the occasional game for research. Of course the key is to limit the amount of time you spend playing the game to just long enough to understand what they're doing. What the good and bad points of the game are etc. Of course the danger is that you'll actually start enjoying yourself and want to play the game past where you've sucked the essence out, and you're just wasting time. I'm afraid that may have happened with this game I was checking out last night.

The game is called "Protector". It's basically a take off of the standard Desktop Tower Defense except it's set in a fantasy world. So rather than having towers you upgrade you have wizards of different elements you level up. And rather than having a single map, you're assigned different locations to protect and each of them have a different layout, with a limited number of spaces where you can put down your dudes (and a mechanic to clear new spaces).

As I alluded to, it sucked me in. I'm not too worried about it, I'm a lot better at setting and following priorities than I used to be, that doesn't mean I won't spend more time on it that I should merely that I'll probably pull out before I crash...

What distractes me makes me slower

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home