Friday, June 13, 2008

400th Post

I was going to post yesterday, but when I looked and discovered that it was my 400th post on Blogger, and I didn't have anything really spectacular to write about I decided that I'd better wait. It's good that I did because all sorts of interesting things have happened. I don't consider myself much of a sports guy. I certainly think that even if you add in the hours I spend watching the Tour that I'm still significantly below average in terms of hours of sports watched per year for your average male. Still I enjoy a good game, and I have a few teams that I like to do well (or poorly).

One of those teams is certainly the Dutch National Football team. And I'm happy to report that beating Italy was not a fluke that they crushed France 4-1 earlier today. Which means they definitely advance out of their group regardless of what happens, and probably have to be considered the team to watch in the elimination rounds. And if you don't watch Soccer you don't know what you're missing, I've only seen the highlights, but if they're anything to go by it was a beautiful game.

I'm sure that, like me, with Euro 2008 going that you have a hard time remember that there's this little thing called the NBA Finals going on. The Lakers went into the series heavy favorites, that combined with the fact that they're one of the teams I like to lose made me an instant Celtics fan. I checked the score at the half last night and the Celtics were getting creamed. Of course since I didn't decide to watch it, they staged the biggest rally in the post-shot clock era and won it. Which means the series is 3-1, with two of the three remaining games in Boston. Doesn't look good for Kobe. You can imagine how broken up I am.

And of course last but not least the Cubs are doing amazing as well. They've got the best record in the major league, and even though we haven't even hit the All Star break yet, it seems hard to imagine that they won't make the playoffs. I guess after 100 years they had to get it right eventually. There's a long way to go, and I think most Cubs fans don't even dare hope for a World Series victory. but if it doesn't happen this year it's hard to imagine when they'll have a better shot at it.

Finally, on a more somber note, Tim Russert died today at the age of 58. I guess when you watch someone every Sunday Morning year after year you can't help but start to consider him at least a passing acquaintance if not a friend. A friend with occasionally misguided opinions, but still... And 58 is just too young. It's going to be weird without him. I'm trying to think if I ever saw "Meet the Press" with a guest moderator during Russert's tenure. I must have, but I can't remember it. Hopefully this isn't too early to ask the question, who are they going to replace him with? The only person who comes to mind is Chris Wallace (who did it once before), but he's got a pretty sweet setup over on Fox, he may not take the job even if they offered it.

Now if only Levi could win the Dauphine

2 Comments:

Blogger hallamigo said...

Happy 400th post!

4:48 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Your prize:

http://www.christies.com/Lotfinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4205385

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home