Friday, September 19, 2008

Block Walk

Every year the PTA at the kids elementary has a fund-raiser. It's called block walk, and the idea is that you get friends and family to pledge a certain amount for each time the kid manages to walk around the block the school is on (#1 Daughter- 7, #1 Son 16, #2 Son- 13 and #2 Daughter 5). They also sell tickets which you can use to buy food, get your hair colored, go on inflatable rides, etc. And they have a big silent auction with things that people and local businesses had donated.

I was mostly flying solo, because my wife left for her annual trip to Park City with my mom and sisters as soon as I arrived. It wasn't too bad though keeping track of all four kids proved to be a challenge, mostly because I was trying to let them do their own thing. They introduced this new thing this year where the teachers offered up something for auction (lunch with the teacher, an evening of pizza and reading, be principal for a day, etc.) All of our kids wanted to do it, but because of the way it was set up combined with our limited budget only the youngest managed to get into one, and that's when things got annoying...

So you have to pay for the silent auction stuff while you're there. Because of the way this particular teacher thing was set up, I knew I had won long before the end of the auction, but no one would take my money. So I figured as soon as the announced the end of the auction I would rush to wherever they were taking money so I could pay and then leave. As soon as they pointed to the people that would take my money I went over there and ended up being third in line. Well when I made it to the front of the line I discovered that they were only taking checks they couldn't take cash, that was the other line, which in the interim had swelled to like 50 people. So I moved to that line. It finally got down to where I was the next person to be helped. That's when the other line ran out of people and said they could help me. I mentioned that they said they couldn't take cash. "Oh, sure we can take cash!" They told me, so after waiting in line for 15 minutes I ended up being back in the line I'd started in...

grrrrrr....

1 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Kafka would undertsand.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home