Friday, June 09, 2006

My wife left me

Well my wife and two of her siblings (along with a brother-in-law) left on a trip this morning to go visit a third sibling in California. So I'm flying solo until Monday night. I'm going to be running a big zone defense, which will consist of me hiding in my office trying to get some work done, all the while praying that the damage to the rest of the house will not be too severe.

I would tell you what my project is for the weekend, but it's super secret. I would give you the old line "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you." But in addition to being a cliche it's not true, I could neither be 100% sure that I knew who all had read the blog, nor 100% sure that I had eliminated them all, so I'd probably have to kill myself, and wouldn't that be ackward, if the wife came home and the kids had been unsupervised for several days. Boy would she be mad, and I don't for a second think that the minor inconvience of me being dead would slow her down at all.

I talk a lot about cycling, but I also quite enjoy soccer. The World Cup started today in Germany. At the moment I'm rooting for teams in this order: 1- The Netherlands, 2- The US, 3- Any team from Africa. I have turned back on my expanded cable so that I could watch the Tour, with the secondary purpose of watching the World Cup, but apparently I'm not the only one, so there's nearly a two week wait for service. Oh well so I'll miss the first few group matches. I can always have a friend DVR it if there's something I'm particularly interested in seeing. Oh and I guess as long as I'm on the subject of sports I should mention that Dallas won. *weakly* Go Mavs...

I'm quite continental in my tastes

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wife trusts you alone with the kids? I guess women are immune to logic. All evidence to the contrary I'm sure she imagines that you will step up at the last minute. In reality, as happens so often, your oldest daughter will be the one that steps in, but she will likely be emotionally scarred for life at having the burden of 3 brothers and sisters PLUS a feckless, bumbling Dad.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you're not cheering for the Jazz, I'm happy...

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basketball is infinitely more exciting and important than soccer, which consists of a few dozen (72 players per team, as far as I can tell) dudes standing around hoping the ball never gets near them (because if it does, they usually kick it away indiscriminately and hope their team gets it where it's someone else's problem).

My root list goes something like 1) USA, 2) England, 3) any other team from western Europe. England's first match starts in 4 hours, but I don't think the sports bars are open quite that early, so I'll have to catch the rerun. (I normally can't watch sports on tape delay, but soccer's in Europe, so it's like it's live...or something.)

Wil

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for the South Koreans, and all they have to do is beat the Japanese, and I will be content. Like they did last time, when the World Cup was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home