Friday, December 15, 2006

Sissel

So last night I went to "Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square with special guest Sissel". Now perhaps you are unfamiliar with Sissel, well I'll help you out. Have you seen Titanic? (Liar! I know you cried when Jack slipped into the ocean.) You remember the haunting, ethereal vocals that accompanied much of the soundtrack? Well that was Sissel.

Having enjoyed the Titanic soundtrack I had pretty high hopes for the concert last night, and I was not disappointed in the least. She really did an amazing job. What was most amazing is how effortless it all seemed. She would hit these unbelievable high notes hold them forever and not appear the least bit taxed by the effort. The final number was "Angels, from the Realms of Glory" and she had to sing over the entire choir. Now I'm sure they had the volume set much higher on her mike, but that wasn't how you could pick out her voice, he voice just sounded, purer.

I suppose that's the natural consequence of there being only one of her and there being 100's of choir members, but it seemed more than that. Of course as my co-worker was pointing out (you can read his take on the concert at his blog) there are only a handful of soloist in the world with her talent, so I shouldn't be surprised. Of course in talking about the soloist I don't want to neglect the rest of the pieces. My wife and the bell choir only accompanied on three of the numbers, but they truly did a spectacular job. In general, with the exception of the length (not of the concert itself but how early we had to get there, etc.) it was really a fabulous evening (man, I sound like a girl).

Almost done with my christmas shopping

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you convinced the wife to take you to a good steak restaurant after the show. After all, can't have the Sissel without the steak, right?

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home