Thursday, April 05, 2007

Gaming Priorities

I have a problem. I'm not sure if you would call it ADD, or excessive curiousity, or recurring ennui, or just Ross-ness (I just watched Me, You and Dupree you'd have to have seen it to get that joke.) It's this condition, whatever you choose to call it, that causes my problem. The concise way of putting would be, "Everything interests me but nothing interests me for long." Obviously the length of time I remain interested varies quite a bit, with particularly interesting and enjoyable things holding my attention for quite awhile, but even my interest in something as interesting and enjoyable as D&D goes through a sin wave of passion to apathy.

Part of the problem is the opportunity cost, or the competition for my time. If D&D was the only thing around to do with my buddies on a Saturday night then I doubt my recurring ennui would manifest with anywhere near the frequency and severity, but there are so many cool and interesting things to do. To just give you a partial list of games I would really like to play:

Midnight D20
Order of the Stick Adventure Game
Illuminati CCG
Shadows Over Camelot
Savage Tide Adventure Path
Dreamblade
Puerto Rico
Shadowrun 4E
Samurai Swords (Shogun)
Go

These are just the games I own. So as you can well imagine if "the gang" only gets together once a month that it's going to take quite awhile to get around to all those games, particularly since any kind of RPG (of which there are three on that list) takes years to play from start to finish.

At the moment I'm the DM for two different D&D campaigns, after reflecting on the points I just made (I didn't just reflect on them, this happened over the course of the last few weeks) I've basically decided that one ought to be enough, so I'm going to turn the other one into a general game night where I can play the other seven things on my list (and probably a lot more).

Recurring, excessive, attentively deficit, curiously ennui-esque disorder

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the Order of the Stick comic. Never knew they had a game.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have that same problem, which results in many started but unfinished projects. I want to do everything, yet I complete nothing.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read on the internet that regular exercise can help with that disorder...for what that's worth.

7:53 AM  
Blogger aozora said...

Awesome list you have there. I'd probably be prone to distraction too.

Fortunately I have rediscovered that negative influences inspire human creativity and focus rather well. Not being able to "afford" the time, money, opportunity or something else, put me on the straight and narrow.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home