Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Weather

It seems that recently I've been really obsessed with the weather, specifically the temperature. I've always had something of an adversarial relationship with the hot summer months, but I think this is new. I find myself compulsively checking the 10 day forecast, sighing in stoic resignation at all the days in the 80s, cursing any days in the 90s, raising a ragged cheer at any day in the 70s and sending e-mails with screenshots and titles like "Did you ever see anything more beautiful?" when it drops into the 60s. (You may think that last bit is an exaggeration, it's not.)

I was talking with a friend about this and he replied that he really liked summer, that it was winter he had a hard time with and that if things work out with his South African ingénue (and they have the money) they'll split their time between locations and avoid winter altogether. He mentioned all the things you couldn't do in winter, like hike, and bike and barbecue. Fair enough, but there are a lot of things you can do in winter that you can't do in the summer, like ski, or snowshoe, or snowmobile, or perhaps my favorite hibernate. It's this last bit which probably appeals to me the most (not that I don't enjoy the others). I enjoy bundling up against the long winter night with a book, or a DVD (or a good computer game). While it's summer you've got all this daylight to burn and you feel a certain obligation to fill all of it with activity, not so in winter.

Perhaps (probably) this indicates some fundamental laziness on my part. If so it wouldn't be the only symptom. In any case this is not to say that Winter is my favorite season, it probably goes fall, winter, spring then summer. As a result I confess to having this idyllic vision of moving farther north (or higher up the mountain) and finding a place that only has two seasons, winter and fall, with maybe a little bit of spring thrown in. Not sure if such a place exists... but one can dare to dream.

I also dream about unicorns

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my dream environment - 8 months of winter, 2 months fall and 2 months spring. I'm thinking my next job might be in Yellowknife!

Janet

3:42 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

I'm with the cold crew. I'd say hiking and barbecuing are still viable winter activities, although biking could be a challenge if there was much snow.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds a lot like Cusco, Peru. At over 11k feet altitude, summer gets to a balmy 50F. Maybe.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like fall, then spring, then summer, then winter.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home