Friday, May 25, 2007

Game Night

Well tonight is the monthly game night with the guys. I'm not sure what we'll end up playing, so I tossed six different games into my car:

Puerto Rico: Widely regarded as one of the best designed games ever (for example it's #1 on BoardGameGeek.com). The only downside is that I'm the only one of the group who's ever played it, and that was several years ago. (This is one of the games in my "Played and Picked up at GenCon and then never played again collection".) It's supposed to only take a couple of hours to play, so maybe we'll find a place for it in tonight's line up.

Dreamblade: I have a bunch of unopened Anvilborn boosters, so we could easily do a little sealed tournament tonight. The only problem is that it looks like we'll end up with five people tonight, which means someone would have to have a bye each round. Still having one guaranteed break tonight is not the worst thing in the world. If it wasn't for the odd number of attendees this would be my first choice.

Samurai Swords (AKA Shogun): Part of the Milton Bradley GameMaster series, which gave us Axis and Allies. I enjoy it more than A&A because the starting positions are random so you aren't faced with the same opening move every time you play. It's about the right length for tonight and we have the right number of people too.

Illuminati NWO: One of my favorite games for this size of group. The only downside is that a couple of the guys who will be there tonight have already played it a fair amount recently. Plus my cards are kind of disorganized, so it would take a while to get everything ready.

Order of the Stick Adventure Game: The one person who missed last time really wants to play this, but I would prefer to play something else, partially because I haven't figured out how best to tweak it yet, and partially because it's such a long game, and I'm supposed to go on the weekly hike tomorrow at 8:00 am. It's my last choice, though I'll play it if that's what everyone else wants to do.

Shadows Over Camelot: Another really enjoyable game, and not too long either, we could probably play it twice if we wanted to. I've only played with seven players, I imagine the dynamic is different with five. It's a hard game to win, and it's cooperative which makes me a little reluctant to play it. I'm kind of in the mood to crush someone, perhaps that's why I would like to play Dreamblade, since I have quite a bit more experience than any of my friends.

Happy Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home