Friday, May 11, 2007

Book Clubs

My wife belongs one of these pseudo-feminist book clubs, which she quite enjoys. It was started by an old friend of mine from high school. I'm not sure why that is important. Anyway, they meet once a month, and a couple of years ago they decided that once a year they would invite the husbands. Last year we discussed the "Paradox of Choice". A very interesting selection because it broke down stongly into two camps, those that felt it was theophany on order with the road to Damascus, and others who felt that it was post-modern sewage. But I may be exagratting the size and vehemence of the two camps since it turned out later that many of the husbands had not read the book.

So this year, they were thinking of not reading a book at all. In fact, because "Paradox of Choice" was based on an article in Scientific America the suggestion was floated that they just have the husbands read an article. Well I don't need to tell you that I find that suggestion fairly insulting. What's next a pithy quote? If they're going to go in that direction that I would rather junk the discussion entirely and just get together as a social function. And yes I know the suggestion was directed at the other husbands, but I can't help but feel insulted on behalf of my entire gender.

In other news we watched an Emma Thompson movie called "Wit" last night. It was pretty depressing, and not at all what I expected. Of course at least, unlike most dying of cancer movies, it doesn't try and ambush you. You know she's got really bad cancer right from the first scene. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. I'm guessing there's some people who will feel like watching it based on the description, regardless of my recommendation. To those people then I do recommend it, the rest of you should probably avoid it.

Runaway Bunny has never been sadder

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three years from now ...

"So, Ross, what did you think of that word."

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at the description of the book, I can't see any major philosophical battleground, just a basic psycho-social commentary on the vast amount of choice we're given as a consumer society, and whether that's good or bad. That seems to me to be at least a decent debate. Don't know how the book handles it, though.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home