Thursday, May 17, 2007

Music

Lately I've been going through a process of trying to refine my music library. The first step was to get it all into one place, which mostly consists of ripping all my CDs. This is taking long enough that while I do that I've moved on to step 2 which is to seperate the wheat from the chaff. In other words take the songs I actually like from each album and make a play list. So far I've dumped everything into one playlist. Initially it was titled "Good Stuff". Mostly it was a dump of everything I thought might be good. Once I realized that a lot of it wasn't and that new music was coming in all the time from the albums I was ripping I created a second playlist, "Really Good Stuff". I imagine at some point I'll want to filter it again and I'll have to create a "Really, Really Good Stuff" (perhaps to be followed by a "Really, Really Good Stuff (and this time I mean it)" list).

At the moment all genres are mixed together. At some point I'd like to create mood lists: Energetic Music, mellow music, sad music, classical, etc. But for now the all-purpose list seems to work. In the process of assembling all my music I got rid of a lot of CDs from my wishlist, mostly because I realized that I already have more music than I can handle (the "Really Good Stuff" list has a 606 with a playtime of 1.6 days and I still have CDs left to rip), and so something would have to really fill a gap rather than just be the 9th They Might be Giants CD I own.

To give you an idea of my tastes here are the next 20 songs on the playlist (random shuffle):

Sabotage -- Beastie Boys -- Ill Communication
Everytime You Say Goodbye -- Allison Krauss -- Now That I've Found You
Find The River -- R.E.M. -- Automatic For The People
Crazy -- Gnarls Barkley -- St. Elsewhere
Somebody -- Veruca Salt -- For the Masses: A Tribute to Depeche Mode
Mrs. Robinson -- Simon & Garfunkel -- The Best of Simon & Garfunkel
Crystal -- New Order -- Get Ready
Dan y Dwr -- Enya -- Enya (The Celts)
Bleed American -- Jimmy Eat World -- Bleed American
Freak Out -- Avril Lavigne -- Under My Skin
Insanity -- Oingo Boingo -- Boingo
Girl Sailor -- The Shins -- Wincing The Night Away
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure -- Acoustic Hits
Cover: Ship Song -- Heather Nova -- Coverville Podcast
Aliens Exist -- blink-182 -- Enema of the State
L'Estro Armonico, Op. 3 - Concerto #6 in A minor -- Itzhak Perlman -- Vivaldi: The Four Seasons, Etc.
Mother -- Pink Floyd -- The Wall
Little Stereo -- Teddybears -- Soft Machine
Speak To Me -- The Connells -- One Simple Word
I Feel You -- Depeche Mode -- Songs of Faith and Devotion

The Tuvan throat singing hasn't been ripped yet

1 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Hope you get to the mood lists soon, that was quite a spread of tunes.

I just got cut off recently from Pandora.Com, the Internet radio from the Music Genome Project, so I'm cranky about music at the moment.

It started when some judge decided Internet radio should pay fees which regular radio doesn't and four times what satellite radio does ... all the news and activism is going on at www.savenetradio.org

The fallout included cutting off anyone not in the Promised Landmass. People can mess up just about anything.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home