Monday, November 05, 2007

End of an Era

Well the weekend was awesome: very relaxing and completely enjoyable. My wife and I started having kids pretty soon after we got married, so we didn't get to experience "just the two of us" for very long. Despite that (or perhaps because of it) we really enjoy just spending time together. Even more surprising perhaps is that one of the more enjoyable events during the weekend was having a serious discussion of how much longer I should stay at the day job. The question was more difficult than it might first appear.

See the business just keeps getting more and more intense. One of the big deadlines is in January which means, as you can imagine, December is going to be pretty crazy on that front. This by itself wouldn't be sufficient to justify finally cutting the umbilical cord to the day job, but my wife is in the Bells on Temple Square and in addition to several concerts during the month of December she has somewhere north of a million rehersals to attend as well (okay not really, but close). When you add that to the normal craziness of the holidays there was a real worry that we might be orphaning our kids. So the decision was made that November 30th would be my last day.

Overall I feel pretty good about things, though this is not to say there isn't some trepidation and even fear in there as well. It was not an easy decision, we'll see how things develop. My day job is already offering to drop me down to 20 hours a week in an effort to not lose me entirely, so we'll see if that pans out. I sent them a pretty stringent list of requirements (stringent for them, very lax for me) so we'll see if they still want me on those terms. Anyway that's the big news for today, I'll keep you posted as things progress.

From where the Sun now stands today I will TPS no more forever

3 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Ooh, awesome Chief Joseph quote spin-off. It is one of my favorites.

Nice story about spending time with the significant other. *thumbs up*

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job(s). I hope you maximize income and minimize stress as you shift to the new job.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like "end of an era" also meant an end to blogging...

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home