Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pictures

I just got off the phone with my brother and things seem to be going well. Thus far, at least as far as he knows, he hasn't developed any complications, so that's good. I asked him if he had enough to read, he said he had some books, but that he wasn't up to reading yet. For me (and I get the feeling him as well) that would be an indication of being pretty beat up, if you're too weak/sick to read. I asked him about the circumstances leading up to things and asked him if he'd consulted with anyone. He said he'd talked to a lot of friends even one who was a doctor and they had told him that if there was no fever and/or nausea that it probably wasn't appendicitis. This is another example of where it's hard to get a straight answer. This paper says that "Fewer than 50% of people with appendicitis have the traditionally described symptoms.." and goes on to list nausea and fever. Whereas this paper claims that 90% of people experience nausea. Anyway, I guess as the Chinese would say, "That wood has been made into a boat."

Back to the earlier subject of the haircut. I actually wanted to post a picture, but being something of a neo-luddite (or at least a late adopter) I don't really have a digital camera (or rather I have a couple of digital cameras in various states, but I haven't integrated a digital camera into my life). The new laptop I ended up with from the day job has a webcam in it, but it took me 20 minutes of searching on the internet to even figure out what program I needed to use to get to it (another thing to blame Vista for), another 10 minutes before I could get my face on the screen and at that point there didn't seem to be anyway to just "snap a picture", and as I didn't want to spend 20 more minutes on the endeavor and I was already pretty mad, I gave up the project.

The reason I was mad is that this program "Quickplay" opens up a UI that has six icons. There are no words, there are no words if you mouse over, there are, as far as I can tell no words in the entire program even after you click on one of these six icons, it is, as they say "Icons all the way down". Okay it's not entirely fair to say that there are no words any where, but there are in point of fact about only 5% of the words I would think are minimally required to use the damn thing.

Whenever someone offers you something always flinch

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he had surgery, he might also have added nausea from the anasthesia/pain killers. I don't know about him, but morphine makes me extremely nauseated (I've thrown up every time I've had it administered, at least the first day), and the other painkillers weren't great for me, either.

12:51 PM  
Blogger hallamigo said...

Logitech QuickCam on my Debian Linux desktop; it took more time to upload than get the picture. Take that Vista!

http://greenaspen.com/misc/webcam.png

*ducks as Ross swings*

1:19 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It's to bad that no one suggested to Jeff he seek medical attention earlier. From my experience, anytime someone experiences severe abdominal pain that doesn't go away they should always get checked out for appendicitis, regardless if they have all the textbook symptoms or not. You can't really know until you have an ultrasound and a white blood cell count.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home