Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dungeons and Dragons 4E

It's been awhile since I talked about the upcoming new edition of Dungeons and Dragons. When I first heard about it I was pretty excited. I always like to see what different RPG systems do and how they do it and on top of that because I didn't know anything about 4E my imagination was free to craft something of nearly infinite coolness. Since then as I've learned more about it my excitement has ebbed and flowed. I just got done listening to the latest D&D podcast so my excitement is relatively high. Which reminds me, in addition to wanting webcomic recommendations (See yesterday's blog) I'm also somewhat interested in podcast recommendations. Obviously time is a big factor there so it has to be pretty good, or very short, but I notice that I've been running out of podcasts by the end of the week (all of my current podcasts are weekly) before the shows refresh. A really good music podcast has a better chance of making the cut (since I can listen to it without giving it my full attention) than a spoken word podcast.

Anyway where was I? Oh yeah my variable excitement for the new version of D&D. Some of the things that have gotten me excited include: the art in the preview books; the canonization of roles; at-will, per-encounter and daily powers for all classes; the new D&D minis game. Some of the things which have cooled my ardor include: no sorcerers in the first PHB; dragonborn and tieflings; the pit fiend stats; diagonal movement only costing 1. As I indicated on the balance I'm still excited, but we'll have to see what happens once I have the actual books in my hand (regardless of what happens between now and then I'm definitely going to buy the three core books.) They are coming out with the introductory in May, so perhaps I'll run the family campaign through it and see what they think. Whether they want to restart at level one using 4E, try to convert over their current characters or whether they just want to stick with 3.5.

Anyway that's it for today, as I mentioned I still need webcomic recommendations (or actual comics that appear in the newspaper since those inevitably end up on the web as well).

Sharpen the saw

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Webcomics:
Girl Genius by Phil Fogilo
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com
updates 3 times a week, so if you read one a day, you will eventually catch up.
Buck Godot by Phil Fogilo
http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php
also only updates 3 times a week.

I like Dilbert, PvP, and UserFriendly

Podcats:
Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day. Under 5 minutes everyday.

Math Factor: weekly math puzzle.

Car Talk: weekly, funny.

Science Friday: Weekly.

The Onion Radio News: daily, less than 5 minutes.

All Songs Considered: weekly, a little under an hour. A lot of music.

Geshin

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home