Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Literary Tag

There's this internet meme called tagging whereby someone is asked to do something (answer ten questions about their marriage, or take a quiz to determine what city you are) and then generally as part of the "viral" nature of the exercise they are then asked to select or "tag" five other people or something like that. I generally don't involve myself in these activities, and find most of them kind of big wastes of time, but my sister-in-law (is she still my SIL if she's married to my wife's brother?) posted one that I thought was more interesting than most, and since I can only complain about how busy I am or sick I am so much (and apparently as this same SIL pointed out I had crossed the line of complaining about shoveling my driveway) I thought I'd participate. I'm not "tagging" when I do this, though if you'd like to participate feel free to do so in the comments.

Anyway the idea is:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123
3. Find the first 5 sentences
4. Post the next 3 sentences

Since I've always been something of a rebel I thought I would do it more than once. The nearest book to me right now is "Secrets of Power Negotiating" and the revelent passage is:

Was the note real or was it planted information? Although it was just an unsubstantiated note scrawled on a piece of paper, the salesperson believer it because he had obtained the information surreptitiously. Even if they had planted it, could the salesperson cry foul later?

I also have the March copy of "Wired" sitting on my desk and being the gigantic magazine that it is, it has over 123 pages, unfortunately page 123 is an ad, so I'll use 122 (from an article called "The Netflix Challenge"):

At the end, SVD often finds relationships between movies that no film critic could ever have thought of but that do help predict future ratings. The danger is that it's all too easy to find apparent patterns in what's really random noise. If you use these mathematical hallucinations to predict ratings, you fail.

Other than magazines and business books, I don't have a lot with me at the office, but I do have "The Dangerous Book for Boys" here, so I'll do that as well:

The second verse is particularly poignant.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

That's from a section on the Battle of the Somme. The poem they reference is called "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon. Here's the full text.

That went unexpectedly melancholy...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll play:
If you wake up in the middle of a sleep cycle, especially during stage 3 or 4, your metabolic rate is at its lowest and it will take time to recover from this. It's better to stay asleep (actively recuperating) through the complete cycle rather than trying to take a shorter sleep break.

I know that's only two sentences, but the page goes into a table that explains the sleep cycles.

the book is The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook 2nd ED by Simon Doughty.

I haven't read it yet.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just came from a class on the Pentateuch, and I have a class reader, so the pages actually correspond to the reader, not the original source.

"Such as claim may strike the average reader of Leviticus as odd. Of all the books in the Hebrew Bible, perhaps none is more routinely dismissed by most Christians as irrelevant, if not pagan, than Leviticus. Sadly, this neglect and disparagement cannot be judged as benign or innocent."

The article in the reader is from a book, called "The Torah's Vision of Worship," pg 148 (but page 123 in my reader).

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home