Thursday, March 13, 2008

Special Celebrations

Somewhere on the massive "Someday/Maybe" list in my mind is an ill defined item which reads something like "Have more spontaneous and/or quirky celebrations". Here are a couple of examples of what I mean: When Gygax died last week I really wanted to drop everything call up my old gaming buddies and run an old school AD&D game, perhaps run them through "The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl" (the subject of a joke on NPR this last Saturday). While I was on my mission and the summer solstice rolled around we tore down some branches to create kind of an indoor forest, made friets and escargot and stayed up all night telling ghost stories. Another friend of mine doesn't celebrate any holiday except Groundhog's Day (that doesn't really fit the "more" part of the item, but it certainly fits the "quirky" part).

The reason this occurred to me know is that one of my long time readers (aozora) runs a internet turn-based war game every year around the ides of March, which he invited me to participate in. Obviously time is a huge impediment to doing this sort of thing more often, but I also think that most of the time we have our head down just trying to avoid tripping on the rocks in the path immediately ahead of us. As a result we rarely have time to look up and see the scenery around us, or heaven forbid leave the path and explore things off of the path. Okay maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but I think you get my point.

*smack* Doh! I just tripped over a rock.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Visit Marie Calendars today to celebrate Pi Day. Or try having 3.14 drinks... whatever rolls your kayak.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'd be great to get the gang together and honor Pi Day. Then I'll celebrate by getting a round to it.

2:24 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

I'm glad --and impressed-- you sensed the "wake up call" facet without it being mentioned. I started the event because I had to move away once again after briefly rekindling the "old gaming group".

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home