Saturday, April 05, 2008

Ice

I really wanted to make sure to blog today, since I've been such a slacker over the last week and a half. But I wasn't sure what to write about. I mean I could have written about how it sucks to work on Saturday. Or I could have written the 4,789th post about how busy I am. Or I could have written about watching General Conference on my computer, but none of those had the right zing I was looking for. So I wandered over to Fark.com to see what kind of stories were making the rounds there. Within 60 seconds I had found this story about someone aborting their solo trip to the north pole because of ice.

Beyond the obvious humor of the north pole trip that was stopped by ice, the column has generated what may be described as the predictable battle between the two sides of the global warming debate. If you read the actual article it's obvious that he was prepared for some ice, but apparently there was an "appalling" amount of ice, worse than he ever imagined. He also claims to have been preparing for seven years. So of course beyond the references to blindly believing Al Gore I'm curious about why there was so much ice. For one thing before we get into any discussion of global warming, is the first of April really the optimal time to take a trip to the North Pole? I know that this was a particularly bad winter (I just talked to a guy from Canada who said that they had received a truly staggering amount of snow. So if the guy had just corrected for the unusually harsh winter and left in say June would he have been okay?

Also as usual when I hear about these epic feats of endurance I'm pretty jealous, but then I realize that I'm also in the middle of doing something extremely epic myself. And then I'm not quite as jealous. Speaking of that I read this great blog entry from Marc Andresson (founder of Netscape) that was a guide to doing a start-up. You may not want to read the whole thing, but you should definitely scroll down and view the closing metaphor because it's dead on.

Still in the belly of the giant space worm

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget, did we have record-numbers of hurricanes, as predicted (and repeated via Barbra Streisand?)

9:32 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

This wikipedia article will tell you everything you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Atlantic_hurricane_season

But the short answer is no. With the exception of named storms (tropical depressions, etc.) 2007 was completely average, and significantly calmer than predicted.

9:56 AM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

Blogger seems to have cut off the end of the URL, the page is:

2007_Atlantic_hurricane_season

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home