Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Keep on the Shadowfell

***WARNING MORE TALK ABOUT D&D***

So today was the street date for Keep on the Shadowfell, the first full 4E product. So as you can imagine I got it. I had to do something that made me really uncomfortable, and still feels me with a certain level of guilt. I'll use you, my readers, as my confessor and you can tell me what my penance should be...

So I pre-ordered the adventure (as I believe I mentioned) from the FLGS, but when I went to pick it up, they didn't have it yet. This was very annoying... This is just one more reason why it's hard to support the local guy, because I knew the minute he said that, that I could drive to the local Barnes and Noble and it would be on the shelf. So that's when I did something bad... I decided to go buy it from Barnes & Noble, open it up, and then when my pre-ordered copy arrives at the FLGS return it unopened to B&N, and get my money back... Okay it's not pre-meditated murder, but it's one of those things that are just unethical enough to give me a rumbly in my tumbly.

As far as the product itself, I've only spent about 30 minutes with it, which was enough to read the entirety of the Quick Start Guide, and get mad that the pencil-draw character portraits they have for the pre-gens don't match the actual description (for example the dwarven fighter is supposedly wielding a two-handed hammer, but the picture is of a fighter with a shield and a sword.) On the other hand as I read about all the different ways people have to force movement, led me to believe that finally D&D could do justice to a true Force Mage (or Telekineticist). That would be the most awesome class ever, and overcome everything else bad about 4E (including the character portraits).

The really nice thing about the adventure is that they include six poster maps for the major encounters. Which should be really handy when it comes time to actually run those combats.

It bothered me and I did it anyway... Such was my BB Gun mania...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home