Friday, May 02, 2008

Timer

I went to a big marketing event a couple of months ago, and there were a bunch of CEOs there who had anywhere from $30 million a year companies to billion a year companies. And part of what they talked about was tricks they used to be more productive. One of them recommended that you work in two and a half hour blocks, of 50 minutes of work, 10 minute break, repeat and then 30 minute longer break. To help with this he recommended getting a little timer for your desk.

So I've sort of been trying it, though more frequently I use the time as more of a Parkinson's Law device. I decide how long I need to do something, and I try to be optimistic about it (i.e. the minimum amount of time it could take). Then I put that on the timer and then that becomes "the time available". Whereas if there's nothing on the timer, then you get a sense that there's infinite time available...

The reason I mention this is that I gave myself 15 minutes to finish up my morning collect (a Getting Things Done idea) and write my blog. Right now I just passed the four minute to go mark. So, anyway it seemed like as good a topic as any to write about. Overall it's pretty effective, though I think it definitely increases the stress level. As far as the working in two and a half hour blocks, I've had less success with that, but I think that the problem is that I haven't been entirely effective in implementing the zero interruption part of it. What I really need is to close the office door, turn of instance messanger, and most of all have a needle stab me in the leg everytime I try to check my e-mail...

34 seconds left

1 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

"One of them recommended that you work in two and a half hour blocks, of 50 minutes of work, 10 minute break, repeat and then 30 minute longer break."
Whoo! Multi-millionaire advise. For free!

How does it stack up against the cubical farm timing?

The old-school Japanese working hours included a "tea-break" at 10:30ish and 3 p.m.-ish with a snack added at the 3 o'clock break. Then you work into the night (and the next morning) for as long as it takes to get the job done... O.K., that last part isn't discussed, kind of like Fight Club.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home