Saturday, August 02, 2008

Fathers and Sons Post Mortem

The Fathers and Sons camping trip went pretty well. I actually got some time to read in the shade while my two sons wandered around. I later, upon reading the rules sheet, discovered that kids under 12 were supposed to be under adult supervision at all times. I'm guessing that that's a rule of somewhat recent origin. I can certainly remember lots of times before I was 12 when I was allowed to roam free while camping. But perhaps the rule has always been on the books and we just never followed it. My family has a history of being scofflaws.

The turn-out from our ward was so pathetic as to be embarrassing, and certainly much different than last year. Last year the site designated for our ward filled up to the point that one of the families ended up staying in their van even though they had a tent. So this year I made a special point of showing up early to make sure I got a good spot. As it turns out I needn't have bothered. It was me and my two boys, another guy about my age with is one son, and an older guy with his two sons and three grandsons (plus one hanger on). So three families total. Last year there were at least 10 and probably closer to a dozen.

I felt particularly bad for the older guy who had been tasked with making breakfast. He was told to plan on 24 people, if you do the math you can see he ended up with half that. Needless to say I ate a lot this morning.

Sleeping-wise we had one giant air mattress. I put my youngest son in the middle, which may have been a mistake. He's all sharp points and he seems to have the uncanny ability of sleeping in such a way that they're all jabbing the most sensitive parts of the person sleeping next to him. Of course I slept with my back to him, but that just meant that I had a knee in my back all night. I thought I slept okay, but the sleepiness I feel today belies that, perhaps there's still a little of the muscle relaxant lingering in my bloodstream...

Pretty fly for a white guy

3 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Viva la scofflaws!

The key to camping interest lies in the requirements of living off the land I think. The less you bring and the more you have to tame nature the better, or more interesting, the experience.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, this is why God invented motels.

12:24 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

*laugh*

Good point Ed! Room service over roughing it.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home