Monday, September 22, 2008

Fantasy Football Update

Once upon a time I had what I thought was a great idea to get into wine collection. See I don't drink and thus I would never end up consuming the profits of wine that had appreciated in value. It seemed foolproof until my dad pointed out that since I didn't drink wine I would never have the visceral sense of what was good and what wasn't. I have the same problem with Fantasy Football. I enjoy football well enough, but other than a few big names I have no idea who's good, which teams are good, I have very little in the way of gut. So I'm mostly going on what ESPN projects for each player. Projections which have thus far been pretty bad (not that projecting things like that is ever easy.)

This week my opponent was completely done yesterday, and ended up 18.5 points ahead. I only had one slot left, I could play Thomas Jones of the Jets, or LaDainian Tomlinson. Normally that would be a no-brainer since LDT was the overwhelming recommendation for first pick by everyone, but he hadn't been doing that well and it appeared that he would not play very much, if at all. In fact right before the game the prognosis was particularly bad and one of my friends recommended playing Jones. I saw the message and immediately went to make the switch, but it was too late the game had started. Fortunately LDT finally lived up to his hype and he ended up scoring 19 fantasy points, meaning that I won by 0.5 points... I can only imagine how much that result sucked for my opponent, but I was pretty happy.

One of the things that's annoying about something like this is that even just three weeks in I've learned enough that I really wish I could go back and do things over starting with the draft. Oh, well maybe next year. Yes I fully intend to get into a fantasy league next year. It's actually just the kind of game I like. I can spend 5-10 minutes a day on it, more if I want to, less if necessary. It's got a good mix of skill and chance, and it's something that makes me less of a nerd...

My wife says she doesn't know me anymore

2 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Drop ESPN and roll a d20. Much better.

5:47 AM  
Blogger hallamigo said...

I'm on the company FFB league and honestly have only logged in maybe once - I just can't get myself to care enough to commit any time or energy.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home