Thursday, September 25, 2008

That's Where I'm a Viking!

I think I may have blogged about this at some point in the past, but I'm too tired to make any sort of effort to determining whether that is in fact the case. So there was this episode of The Simpsons ("Lisa the Vegetarian" Season 7 Episode 5 to be exact) where the teacher out of frustration with Ralph Wiggum tells him to "just try to sleep while the other children are learning." To which Ralph replies, "Oh boy...sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" Now the most obvious interpretation of this is that he dreams about being a viking. All men of good sense and honest character reject this interpretation as unworthy of the brilliance and subversiveness of The Simpsons. For those with the taste and breeding to recognize it a second, more satisfying interpretation suggests itself. That being a viking is a metaphor for something that he's exceptionally good at.

So I have a a gigantic, awe-inspiring spreadsheet on which I keep all my to-do items, projects, habits, lists, goals, inspirational quotes, notes and anything else I can shove in there. An older version of this spreadsheet was called "Overlord" which may be more accurate, but on one of the revisions I decided to call it Viking, as in "Organization, that's where I'm a viking!" (humorous and inaccurate) Then came "Viking Part Deux" (an homage to Hot Shots! Part Deux)the next revision. I think I'm ready for another revision and I'm trying to come up with another name. I guess I could go for a completely different name, but I'm thinking I should stick with the movie reference. I'm thinking "Viking, Return of the Truth" (another simpsons reference "The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!") but as you can see it doesn't quite sing... So I'm interested in suggestions, the person whose suggestion I use will receive the respect of their peers and a life-long glow of pride and accomplishment.

Viking, the Quickening

2 Comments:

Blogger hallamigo said...

How about "Overlord Episode III: Revenge of the Vikings"?

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the Vikings were so mighty and great... where are they now? Running IKEAs?

Actually, I'd read some Viking history, and they had a pretty good amount of influence for a while for a good spread. They weren't just pillaging.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home