Monday, January 19, 2009

Watch

My birthday is in less than a month, and I think I'm going to angle for a new watch. The problem is that, while I am happy driving a $1000 car, reading used books and wearing thrift store shirts and patched levis, my taste in watches is pretty expensive. My old watch was a monster, but the barometer is broken so it no longer can use pressure to detect an oncoming storm or tell the temperature, and two nights ago the band broke. Obviously none of this really takes away from it's ability to tell time, but I already tried buying a replacement band at a Casio specialty store and was told that they didn't have anything and weren't even sure if they could order it.

So not an iron clad case for getting a new watch, and certainly not an iron clad case for spending a lot of money on a watch, but my birthday is approaching, and if I don't catch this window then the next major opportunity will be next Christmas. Part of the way I justify spending a lot on a watch is the use I get out of it. You've probably never seen anyone in your life who looks at his watch as much as I do. Now normally this trait annoys the hell out of people, as well it should, but it does have the one positive benefit of decreasing the $/use figure of any watch I buy, and so I think I should take advantage of that on the rare occasions when it's germane.

I've spent a little time looking around, and initially I was thinking of getting an ana-digi watch (for example the watch reviewed here) and I still really like the look of a watch with multiple faces. But the current top end model of the watch I'm replacing is also very attractive. Both initially seem out of my price range, but the internet is a wonderful place and great deals abound...

Anyway as I said I have nearly a month to go, so if you want to offer any ideas that'd be great. There are a lot of watches out there and I've only begun to scratch the surface...

Oh crap! I'm late!

3 Comments:

Blogger Medsker said...

I think you should get a pocket watch. When you look at it, it will make you look wise and knowing...a little bit older but debonair.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and you can use the word "fob" in everyday conversation!

4:47 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

*chuckle* Funny points to Ed.

So no more Dick Tracy watches then? Unfortunate.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home