Friday, January 09, 2009

Parts list for new PC

The last time I put together a new PC was nearly four years ago. At the time I posted a list of all the components in my blog. As I mentioned yesterday, none of my past entries come even close to that entry in terms of how often I've gone back and referenced it. So I thought I'd do it again. Both for the value to "Future Ross" and also because my brother-in-law is thinking of building a machine and he wanted to see what I had built. The grand total for all of this was $420 and I ended up with a pretty good machine. Not the liquid-cooled demon I was secretly dreaming of, but a machine that had no problem playing the latest games. Now of course that $420 doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, the OS or any applications, but even so...

Here you go:

Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply

ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R Burner

Looks like the case may have been on sale, so it's slightly more expensive now. But you're still looking at only around $450 for a brand new gaming PC.

Here's hoping you get to spend more time gaming on yours than I do on mine... :(

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for posting this. Greg was just asking me the other day if you had put this up yet.

4:19 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

What OS do you plan to run on it?

5:57 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

Since this is primarily for gaming I'll be running XP.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Where are the pictures of the build process or at least a picture of the final build with the hood up of course. Did you run any benchmarks on it yet? How are the CPU and graphic card temps? What games have you played and at what frame rates? What realms in WOW have you played? Any problems with the power supply? I noticed the power supply 12V is rated for 17A, and the graphics card has a minimum requirement of 26A. How did all the components go together any complaints or praises?

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home