Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Slate.com

As you may have figured out I enjoy Slate.com. I wouldn't say that I enjoy all of it, in fact some of the regular features drive me nuts, but I find that there's quite frequently a gem in the rough (and I love Christopher Hitchens). Well it's their 10th anniversary and in addition to the sort of self-congragulatory crap you might expect, they also took the opportunity to give four of their critics space on Slate to say why they hate Slate.

It's this sort of thing which keeps me coming back. Anyone who has the sense of humor and the guts to give people room to tell them why they suck is okay in my book. Of the four I think I like the one by Jonah Goldberg the best, but they're all worth reading (here and here) with the possible exception of David Talbot's whiney piece about how superficial journalism is. A condition he ends up blaming on the Bush administration... *sigh*

Tonight is the kick-off meeting for the kids soccer teams. Last time we heard none of their teams had coaches. Assuming I just had to stand around at games I was going to attend already I might consider volunteering to be one of the coaches, but hopefully they will have found someone already. I've never coached soccer and it's been 20 years since I've played it, and finally I'm certain that 3, 5 or 7 year old soccer bears little if any resemblence to the (world cup) soccer I see on TV. I'll let you know what happens.

Have I reached that time in my life already?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main difference is that in kids' soccer it's the parents that tend to be the hooligans, vs. casual fans in pro. soccer.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you Jinx,Dallas?

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home