Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Funny Movie

So I believe I mentioned that I was forced to move to a different cube. Well as you can imagine there are times when one's on autopilot and you end up walking into the wrong cube. Well fortunately for you the guy who's now in the cube has a motion activated camera set up, and so he sent me a short movie of me walking into the wrong cube which I will post for your pleasure. A short technical note, it seems to work best if you save it to your computer (desktop) and click on it from there.

Ross on autopilot

Now after I realize I'm in the wrong cube, you'll notice a pause. I'm curious to find out if anyone knows me well enough to figure out why I paused. Oh and for those that are curious the book that I'm reading in the movie is Eragon. You may have heard of it, they're making a movie out of it. It's the book written by the 17 year old wunderkind, so I had previously avoided it out of intense envy, but since they're about to make a movie out of it, I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. Well while I was looking into the second book I came across a review of the first book which really sums it up:

In "Eragon," we meet the title character, a fifteen-year-old boy, being raised by his uncle in a rural area (but his name isn't "Luke"). Eragon happens to find a dragon's egg, and a beautiful, blue dragon hatches, and chooses him as her Rider (but this is not Pern). The egg had been magically hidden by a beautiful Elven princess, Arya (not Arwen), just before the servants of the evil king Galbatorix (not Sauron) catch her and imprison her. Eragon does his best to care for the young dragon, but the king's men come and burn down his home, and kill his uncle (whose name isn't "Owen"). Eragon leaves his home village, to draw the king's men away, with an old story-teller, Brom (not "Obi-Wan") who is really a dragon Rider in retirement (and never was a Jedi Knight). Eragon makes many friends, and ends up living in a stronghold of those who oppose the Empire, er, I mean the King.

This person also goes onto say, "Christopher Paolini's first book, 'Eragon,' was highly derivative and unoriginal, but I still liked it...In 'Eldest,' there is no originality, and there is very little action." Most of the reviews of the second book are like this. So one might think that I wouldn't pck up the second book. But because of my jealousy, I'm even more excited about the second book than I was about the first!

Shadenfreude

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you paused to make sure the coast was clear, the give away is that you poked your head out and looked both ways before exiting.

I was curious about Eragon as well and read the same review, but you left out the best part of the review for Eldest:

"Also, someone must have suggested to Mr. Paolini that he should beef up his vocabulary. His response appears to have been to ingest a thesaurus whole and, like some nauseated seagull, regurgitate indigestible words in a rather random fashion."

-Jeff

1:01 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

I very good guess, but unfortunately incorrect, but it does provide a hint for others who may want to guess, the hint being that the coast was in fact clear.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You paused because you were going to make a comment to the person in the cube across from you but they weren't there?

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine that's where you were swearing at yourself under your breath (or not under your breath, since no one was around).

1:37 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

John was really close, but he left out one vital element.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You paused because you were going to make a comment to the person in the cube across from you but ... "

... it was actually justa poster or picture of someone?

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home