Monday, September 11, 2006

Menagerie

Lot's to blog about. First up we have the news that Steven Jones has been put on paid leave for his theories about 9/11 and the collapse of the WTC (in particular WTC 7). So perhaps there are still some level heads in the world, perhaps even at *gasp* BYU! Though one would never get that impression glancing at any of the 700+ comments left on that news story.

While I was looking into things a little bit I came across a mention that he was the Co-Chair of the Scholars for 9/11 Truth, so I decided to check out the wikipedia article on the "Scholars". The minute I opened it up my eye was immediately drawn to the list of researchers on the right. Looking at each of there entries I discovered that their researchers are:

David Ray Griffin -- Retired Philosophy Professor
Jim Hoffman -- Software Engineer
Alex Jones -- Radio Host
Steven E. Jones -- Physics Professor
Don Paul -- Poet, Writer, Long Distance Runner
Barrie Zwicker -- Political Activist

Now I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if you had a group called "Scholars for 9/11 Truth" that your researchers would be the very most impressive scholars in your organization. That if there was a structural engineer anywhere in your organization that he would be one of your six researchers... And that just about anyone would be put in the "Researchers" slot ahead of the poet. But what do I know, I've never been affliated with anything nearly as impressive as "SCHOLARS FOR 9/11 TRUTH", I think the closest I ever came was "Evil Genuises for a Better Tomorrow".

For this reason and many others the weekend was pretty good. Everyone liked the surprise at the family campaign. I was looking for a clever way to introduce the campaign and the characters to one another, so I decided to have all the characters have some very realistic dreams featuring scenes from the end of the adventure path (or rather scenes similar to what might be in the final adventure) of course this would also mean that their characters would all be 20th level. So I put together 20th level versions of all the characters and passed them out. It was my sons first time playing and he managed to kill two of the really tough monsters so he was pretty happy with things. I made sure to go into great detail with the death blows.

In more great news my good friend Wil won his local 1k Dreamblade tournament using a warband I sent him. The deal was I provide the warband and he splits whatever winnings he makes. Which means my cut is $250. That together with the $250 I made at the introductory tournament means that I've actually made more money with Dreamblade than I've spent. Course I haven't seen any money yet (allow 4-6 weeks for delivery) so it may be premature to celebrate. Oh and finally have all 96 minis in the same place, so I was able to set them all out and show them off to the family. So the first set is complete, now I just have to start saving for the next set.

Dreamblade Base Set 96/96

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really hoping that the KSL reporter just doesn't understand how tenure works and misreported that Professor Jones is on leave because of his 9-11 theories. That's right, Professor. That means not only is he tenured, he's been promoted to full professorship. Once you're there, you can pretty much say anything that isn't illegal and/or discriminatory.

In universities, paid leave is called sabatical. College researchers use sabaticals to do research without the distraction of teaching.

Like I said, I'm really hoping that the reporter just misinterpreted the events. Although with BYU's firing their faculty that endorsed gay marriage, I don't trust BYU's tenure agreement, nor their interest in fostering an inquisitive, scientific, scholarly environment.

Speaking of 9/11 theories, Democracy Now held a mini-debate between conspiracy advocates and debunkers. As sympathetic as I am to considering that the government is hiding something, I was sad that the conspiracy advocates sounded like geeky undergrads rather than concerned citizens.

Apologies for my long rant. :-P

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actual cash-wise, how much would you say you spent to get the entire Dreamblade collection?

4:43 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

I figured it up... I spent more than I thought on E-bay. It's still correct to say that I'm in the black, but it's pretty close.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly we live in an America that holds "feelings over truth" - Bill Mahar "Victory beings at home." Aparrently, these people "feel" that the Civil Engineers are "all" wrong.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poet? Wow, that sure desolved the sugar-coating off his title - hahahah.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home