Monday, August 21, 2006

Answering your questions

So Friday's blog got quite a few comments, many of them with questions, so I thought use today's blog to respond. First there was Geshin's question about what happened with my plan to shave my head and get temporary Dreamblade tatoos for the tournament. Well with the Family reunion the week before and everything else I had to deal with I decided that I didn't have the time or the energy to shave my head again and order the temporary tatoos. But I think the "lucky hat" idea for all of my dreamblade tournaments is going to be just as memorable, and easier to pull off. So yes, I guess the answer to your question would be that I did, in fact, wimp out again.

As far as the accusation that I'm obviously the oldest person there, while not actually a question it still deserves a response. As Rob pointed out I wasn't the oldest there (though I think it's fair to say that I was in the top quartile) there were clearly people older than me at the tournament, but none of them finished higher than me. Near the end of the 15-hour-no-meal-break tournament I started declaring that Dreamblade was a young man's game, at least the 15 hour version. So based on the fact that no one older than me finished higher than I did, I feel safe in saying that if they had a seniors division (which many sports do) I would have not only qualified to compete in that division, I would have won it. I'll just let that sink in...

Ed asked about the general buzz on Dreamblade. My take would be that it wasn't earth-shattering, but it was solid. The demo tables were always packed, and rumor is that they sold out of boosters on Thursday, before restocking later in the con. The after-con buzz also seems pretty solid. So yeah, it didn't launch with the same explosive interest that say MtG did, but I think it's got enough interest to be around for quite a while which is what most of the retailers are worried about. They don't want a repeat of Hecatomb.

Finally Rob's comment, yes there were a few girls there. One that I know from online, Amy, finished 12th (fortunately still young enough that she wouldn't threaten my hold on the seniors bracket). And I think you also have a point about slimming vertical stripes. Finally yes my son does wear a hat like that, though not as much as he used to. I think he felt that it made him look too young.

Is it Labor Day yet?

2 Comments:

Blogger Medsker said...

I remember I used to enjoy you going to these things because you'd bring back pictures of strange woman in stranger costumes...I guess now there is nothing redeeming left in the gaming world :-)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be glad he didn't have his camera around for "Leia the Hutt."

Gold bikinis don't really come in that size, do they?

--Wil

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home