Wednesday, August 02, 2006

30 hours and still no power

Well as of this writing we've been without power for 30 hours, and there's no indication that that condition is going to change anytime soon. I really thought it would be back on by the time I woke up this morning, particularly after what happened last night.

As you can imagine rather than try and do much by the dim glow of the flashlight I decided to just go to bed early. I hadn't fallen asleep yet when I heard some voices in the back yard, so I quickly got dressed and went outside. A dude from the power company was there talking to the next door neighbor. I guess his job was to figure out what was wrong, and he had determined that the neighbors tree had grown into the power lines and that's what had caused the problem a week ago and that's what had caused the problem yesterday morning. This was at around 10:15 and he said he was calling in a tree crew.

The tree crew showed up around 1 am and the dulcet tones of the chain saw led me to believe that any moment now power would be restored. But then they left and then, nothing... I suppose there's a third team that actually replaces the transformer or something like that, and so far, 10 hours after the tree was cut back, there's been no sign of them. I'm not sure if they're busy with the storm damage or if the tree crew forgot to notify the power crew that they were done, or what, but I'll tell you it's getting pretty damn annoying.

I don't want to live like people used to!


Anonymous Ed said...

Just think... people have to pay extra to live like the early Mormon pioneers on their trek, or go "roughing it" out in the wilderness. What are you complaining about?

5:36 PM  
Blogger BigLare26 said...

At least you didn't do what Janet did after her power went out (although not for even close to your 36 hours). She got on her laptop to see if there was a report online. Too bad her wireless router was dead.

P.S. Next time, don't bother getting dressed before you go and talk to the power guys. It adds to your story.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Geshin said...

how quickly the defiance of "we don't need no stinking power" goes to the wimper of "30 hours and still no power." :)

It's really bad for us technology addicts. At least it wasn't 9 days like some folks in St. Louis.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home