Friday, June 08, 2007

Manhood

I failed a test of manhood last night. A friend of mine called and started out by apologizing for calling during finals. I initially assumed that he was talking about the finals college students have, which didn't make any sense, given that he presumably knew I wasn't in college. Despite the manifest implausibility of this line of thinking it was still many long ackward seconds before I realized that he was talking about the NBA Finals...

But in a larger sense I'm feeling pretty good about my manliness right now. I mean to have reached a point where you can walk into a room full of investors and ask them for hundreds of thousands of dollars and rather than them laughing at you, which deep in your heart of hearts is what you fully expect to happen, they say "Tell me more", is pretty awesome, even hard to believe. There's always part of you that still feels the same as you did when you were a kid, and as a result you always fell like a little bit of a stranger in the adult world, maybe even a fraud.

In a slightly related story, I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for not having my front license plate. Fortunately it's a "fix-it" ticket so all I have to do is put a license plate on the front and there's not charge. What's annoying is that my car doesn't really have a place for a front license plate, so I ended up having to use a bunch of epoxy and basically gluing the plate on to the front bumper. In any case so I went down to the county building to get it taken care of, and of course the first thing I had to do was grab a cop so he could sign-off that it was fixed. He was a pretty nice guy and it quickly became apparent that he was slightly apologetic that I got a ticket for something so minor (particularly since on the drive home we counted easy two dozen cars which also didn't have front license plates). In fact another cop ended up wandering out and once he heard what the ticket was for he immediately asked who had given it, when the other cop told him, he responded "He meant well, I suppose." Overall, a pretty annoying experience.

Not a big fan of government but everyone I talked to today was nice

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised. I'd always thought the law only required one license plate per car, the plate with your registration on it. Live and learn, I guess.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to share your bread truck days story about tickets? Maybe it was the same guy!

7:54 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Wow, the first line gave me a bit of a shock. Heh.

Interesting downside to living in one of the easy-going states. Maybe the police officer snagged you for something he realized didn't apply when he got close and thus tapped you for the "minor" infraction.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've only heard the one where you left your license plate number on the side of the guys tire ... or something like that.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home