Thursday, February 14, 2008

The winter

It's been a pretty crazy winter. My guess would be it's been the worst winter since I've owned my own home (and consequently had to shovel my giant driveway). I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been the worst of my life, though it's probably in the top three. And actually we've been largely spared the worst of it. Several of the storms have split and hit hard north and south of us, but been relatively mild in our neck of the woods.

There is of course a certain difficulty in defining the worst winter. I guess the best way would be to look at the total snowfall, and that would get you most of the way, but of course it doesn't take into account things like the wind. Last nights storm wasn't too bad in terms of snowfall (at least near my home and office) but it was ridiculously windy. The newspaper called it the worst storm of the year. I think they were using the metric of traffic accidents which is another interesting way of defining which winter is the worst.

The weather is warming up, and I think we're just about to the end of the winter. I don't know if I'm quite ready for it to be over, though I know I'm in the minority. I am ready to stop shoveling, but that's just a subset of being ready for the end of winter. Of course because of the lag, I'm sure we'll have snow in the mountains for many more months, which means I could ski if I had the time and money for that for quite a while. Anyway we'll see how it goes I think Winter may have a few more surprises up her sleeve.

Winter is to be enjoyed, not endured

1 Comments:

Blogger Alberta said...

Okay, enough about the 'giant' driveway. Your driveway is not 'giant'. The driveway at my childhood home was giant. My parents driveway now, though not giant, is bigger than yours. If I had a driveway, it would be bigger than yours. So stop whining!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home