Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My Last Day (No really, this time I'm serious)

Well it was just shy of nine months ago that I told my bosses that I was going to quit and start my own business. And after going through every form of employment known to man (including highly-paid contractor, which I think was my favorite) I think today was finally my last day. Mostly I say this because I turned in my laptop, re-routed my e-mail address, and sent out a farewell e-mail. It wasn't quite a clean break, I still have my phone, because I forgot the charger, they don't have anyone that's waiting for it, and my permanent phone number hadn't yet switched but I've basically handed over all of the duties to the new guy. The on-call number now points at his phone. The odd question could come up, (in fact I hope it does) and I still have to eventually turn in my phone, but I think this is about a solid a dividing line as I'm likely to see.

I also donated platelets. Everytime it comes time to donate I feel like I'm just way too busy to spare the time, but I've really tried to do it regardless. I wouldn't characterize it as some selfless act, I mean I do get to watch a movie (3:10 to Yuma -- Capsule Review: Pretty Unrealistic even for an action movie, but I really, really liked the characters). It's more something that I want to do, for all sorts of reasons, and that I know won't get done unless I pretty much make it a higher priority that just about anything else (I did once reschedule because we were meeting with some investors, but that's about the only thing that will bump it.)

Anyway I'm not sure how I feel about the last day thing. There is a certain amount of fear, but I'm already experiencing what can only be characterized as "terror" so I barely even notice a difference. There's the feeling of a little bit of extra freedom, but I already got most of the bang from that already. I guess my biggest emotion is nostalgia. Nine years is a big chunk of time, and as much as I wanted out, most of the time was pretty good. It's kind of like leaving home and family and I have a really strong desire to make them all proud.

It was the best of times it was the worst of times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home