Tuesday, August 05, 2008

7/7 Conspiracy Theories

Occasionally I've written about the 9/11 truth movement. The group of people who think that the US Government or Israel or the Neo-Cons were complicate in or had foreknowledge of the World Trade Center attacks. The most ridiculous of the claims is the so called "Controlled Demolition" theory. That towers 1 and 2 only fell because they had been pre-wired with explosives. Well one would think that the British would be a little more sensible. Or rather one might think that the 9/11 Truthers were primarily motivated by their bottomless loathing of Bush, but it turns out that there are also conspiracy theories about the 7/7 subway bombings in Britain.

I discovered this when I was listening to last Saturday's episode of "This American Life". They had a little segment about a lady who had survived one of the bombs and ended up because of her prolific blogging of being a spokeswomen for the survivors groups. Well she discovered that some of the conspiracy theorists were using quotes from her blog in support of their theories, and she felt that it made it look like she supported the theories, which, of course, she did not. So she decided to engage them, and start posting on their site. Well you can imagine where it goes from there...

Anyway, it reminds me of an episode of Star Trek Voyager I guess it's called "The Voyager Conspiracy" (I had to look it up, I should have just asked my wife, she would have know.) In it Seven of Nine upgrades some processor and she starts seeing conspiracies everywhere. I can't help but think that there's something of a similar processor malfunction going on in the minds of the people who buy into these theories. But perhaps I'm being too harsh... But then again maybe I'm being too easy on them...

The new Star Trek Movie looks good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home