Monday, August 25, 2008

Transitions

School started today for all but my youngest. She's actually starting school as well this year, but Kindergarten starts a week later than the rest of the grades. It's going to be weird having all of the kids in school. I'm kind of past the point where my kids school milestones make me feel old (though my oldest starts Junior High next year so check back then) but that doesn't mean it's still not a little bit weird.

I think what's going to be really weird (particularly next year when the youngest will be in school all day) is the difference it makes during the day to not have any kids in the house. My wife and I were married for only 16 months before the birth of our first child (and that was basically in a dinky, little apartment) and then we went nearly 12 years with kids in the house 24/7. Not having kids around is going to take some adjustment, but I think it's going to be pretty cool (don't tell them).

The other adjustment is waking up early. I had let myself get pretty sloppy with sleeping in, particularly since getting back from GenCon, but I think it will be nice to have some discipline back in the schedule. Also my old reliable CRT died this morning, so I finally broke down and got an LCD. Mostly I've avoided getting an LCD because they never have the resolution I'd like, plus even though my 21" CRT weighed about 23,000 lbs it still worked, so I was loath to get rid of something that was still working fine. Anyway it had served me long and faithfully so except for the fact that I'm poor, and that it screwed up my morning, and messed up my evening, I have no regrets.

I'm looking forward to not doing anything, just sitting and not moving

2 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Aren't you folks going all-digital soon, or is that just an overseas phenomenon?

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, we're going digital here by Feb next year, I believe (see www.dtv.gov )

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home